blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Otra semana terminada

29 September 2014

Otra semana terminada

I hope that everyone is doing awesome this week! I am missing the Arizona weather, but am finally adjusting to the cold. It’s spring here now, but it is snowing more than ever. Wednesday all the missionaries in Bariloche worked in one neighborhood, and it snowed all day! More than anything it makes for beautiful scenery. The neighborhoods in which we serve are pretty poor, but all you have to do is look up and see the huge mountains covered in snow to feel blessed.

This week we continued to work with a family that stopped receiving the missionaries about a year ago. Elder Candia randomly found their teaching record a few weeks back, and we stopped by the day after. They live in a really dangerous neighborhood in our area; we can only go there during the day because at night it is just not safe. This week we didn’t plan much in terms of what we would talk about, but rather decided to ask them what they needed. Sometimes it can be hard to find out, but in this lesson the mother of the family told us that she wants to change her life. It was a powerful moment and then we talked about the Savior and that through Him everything can change for us. I know that is true. We now have agreed to pass by every Friday and talk to them.

One of my favorite things to do here is work with less active members. We do it a lot, and twice this week we talked with a brother in the ward who can’t come to church because it is hard for him to walk. He is a guy that always makes me feel like I am doing my job as a missionary. Tuesday we shared a scripture from 3rd Nephi and talked about how we can be healed in all ways if we have faith. Sunday we administered the Sacrament to him and afterwards just visited. He has a lot of history, and we learned last night he was at one time a well-known singer in Chile!

Last night we met with someone that we worked with a lot when I first arrived, but haven’t seen for more than four weeks. It was a sad visit because he told us he doesn’t want to learn anymore. (He was progressing a lot and had set a date to be baptized.) We hope to start the lessons again and find out what happened soon, but what I learned from this experience is that we can only invite, we cannot force. I knew that before, but last night proved it to me.

I grew a lot this week. More than anything I am learning to be more humble on my mission. The Lord wants everything that I have to offer, and I’m slowly but surely learning how to do that.

Finally, please thank all of the youth in the ward for their letters. I felt so much encouragement from them. I almost cried reading the one from Will Wulff. He asked if I had brought anyone closer to the church, it felt good to honestly tell myself that I have. I almost died of laughter from what Coleton wrote. A continent away and he still kills me! 

I love you all and hope that this coming week is a great one.

Elder Kauffman aka Jack