blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Una más semana en la misión

01 September 2014

Una más semana en la misión

Hello to everyone,

I hope all is well back home!

This was a great week with a lot of good things happening. I could really feel that me and Elder Candia were doing the Lord’s work. I’ll share a few experiences!

This week I studied Alma Chapter 17 almost every day. It’s a good guide to missionary work. After being a faithful servant Ammon gains the trust of the people, and once he does that they are receptive to his message. I prayed that we could have an experience like that this week, and yesterday it happened! 

All of our appointments cancelled yesterday, and while we were thinking of something to do we saw a husband and wife moving a huge pile of dirt in their front yard. We asked if we could help and they accepted. It felt good to get to work and help somebody. We were there for about an hour shoveling and afterwards the family was more than willing to listen to a short message from us about how God is our loving Heavenly Father. 

I am excited to see how we can help them progress more, but again at the end of every day I am feeling satisfied if I am doing something that the Savior would do. There is nothing quite like it. 

This week I had a major increase in gratitude, as one of our lunch appointments cancelled, and me and Elder Candia had only a little money to buy food. All we could afford was some rice, bread, and ketchup. While I thought that I was not going to enjoy the meal, during our blessing on the food Elder Candia just gave thanks for everything that we do have; our mission, our Gospel, and our Lord. After that blessing I never thought that I could enjoy a plate of rice more than I did!

I love the hymn, "Because I have been given much," or here "tu me has dado muchas bendiciones senor," because the lyric is true. Now more than ever I can see how much I have been blessed, and for that I am willing to give all of my effort here. 

The days here can be hard. We walk a lot and it can be very cold, but when we have the opportunity to sit in someone’s home and talk about the truth that has been restored to the earth, I’m happy! 

I know my Savior lives and that this work centers on Him and His gift of the Atonement. There’s nothing more important than that.

Have a great week!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack