blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Happy New Year!

04 January 2015

Happy New Year!

Feliz ano a todos!

This was an exciting week with the New Year and it was cool to learn what they do here in Argentina to celebrate. If I had to pick one tradition that’s done to bring in the New Year it would be: to eat! Earlier in the week some of President Lovell’s family flew into the country including a few grand kids. On New Year’s Eve we had what’s called an ´asado.´ Basically its a barbecue but with a lot of meat. Elder Arnoundin from Buenos Aires is a great chef and made almost all of the meat. It was a good time and everyone enjoyed it. 

For a few days here we had no water, not just in our apartment, but also all along the street where we live. There was also no water or electricity in the mission home. I talked with the plumber who came to see what he could do and he told me it’s always this way at the end of the year. It was kind of annoying but it just made me laugh. 

Two scriptures affected me this week. Mosiah 26:30 was one of my strong motivations for coming on a mission, to know that we can be forgiven in this life for our errors. The other is D&C 112:10-11. I love the line that says the Lord knows our hearts. We struggle and we make mistakes, but the Lord knows we are trying.

As I’ve mentioned we don’t have a lot of time to work our area. When we do I am trying to focus on the people that I know and help them as much as I can. We have an investigator that has been talking to missionaries for a while and I feel like I have a really special connection with him. He has some mental issues, and it’s hard for him to interact with people, but I want to help him. He wants to be baptized on the 31st of this month. He told us he has a testimony of the Book of Mormon, and that Jesus Christ is his Savior. I’ve never heard anyone say that to me on my mission so far! I am going to do everything I can to make sure he meets his goal. Pray for him please!

I have been doing a lot of thinking as this New Year comes in about who I want to be, and what I want to become this year as a missionary. So far I know that I want to be willing to give all of myself to the Lord. This week I found myself in two or three exchanges, where I left the office because elders in the zone needed something from the office, but their companions had appointments elsewhere. It was a little disconcerting to be in lessons where I didn’t know the person being taught, but it felt good knowing that I was helping out in some way. One of my goals is to feel that way always, knowing that no matter what I do, inside or outside the office, I am serving others. 

Finally, I am feeling comfortable in the office now that I am helping fellow missionaries with their needs. It is different than teaching, but service just the same. I like asking elders and hermanas how their areas are and if they need anything special when they call the office. I only expect to be here until May of this year, but we will see. 

I love everyone and I hope this is a great week for you all!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack