blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Early Mornings and Late Nights

11 January 2015

Early Mornings and Late Nights

Dear family and friends,

It takes so much effort to run a mission. President and Hermana Lovell never stop working, and this week we had some late nights in the office but we had fun. I love Elder and Hermana Arnoundin who serve here with the Lovells. They are like our grandparents and are always asking if we have everything we need. 

We had a meeting last Tuesday with President Lovell where all of the transfers were presented (which was very cool), and we learned who the new mission president would be later this year. He is from Uruguay and will arrive in June. I don’t know that I will work in the office then, but this will be a big change for everyone. 

President Lovell also told us that soon the amount of missionaries would drop significantly from 250 now to approximately 170 in the near future. He told us new missions are opening, and the big jump in missionaries we saw from the age change is slowly receding.

My Final Zone Conference in San Carlos de Bariloche
This was a week with a lot of early mornings and late nights. Every day at eight we went to the police station to do “tramites.” I have no idea how it translates, but it’s basically a process that every missionary needs to go through in order to legally reside in Argentina. I remember doing it when I arrived here, but I never thought I would be doing it for others. I had to do a lot of translating, and a lot of waiting, but I know I was serving! It really is cool what I get to do. I’m seeing how this country works in some aspects because I spend a lot of time in the department of immigrations, police stations and different banks.

Argentina is a special place. I feel adapted to the country and really confident managing and getting around. I know this time is going to help me in the future when I encounter new situations and new places. One of my cool experiences with the people in immigrations this week was that I bought them all facturas (which are like donuts) to thank them for all the work they do for us. It helps the paperwork we submit move along faster, but it was also an opportunity to do something nice. 

On Monday a new missionary came from his area to do his documentation paperwork and we had to wait a LONG time to get it done. So we just talked. I felt the spirit tell me that I was helping by telling him that he doesn't have to worry while on a mission. He just needs to keep moving forward and trust that everything will work out. That’s something I have done and expect to keep experiencing. I believe when he left to go back to his area he felt more confident and comfort. 

I’m not teaching a lot now but I continue to try and give service by doing small things like washing dishes, cleaning and most importantly thinking of what Christ would do in a particular situation, and then doing it. There have been many stressful moments this week, but I’m seeing how the Lord stretches me to I grow. Whenever it gets too crazy I go to the bathroom and pray. I know the Lord knows what I feel. I need him.

I mentioned last week that I have thought a lot about personal goals for this year, and one of them is that I want people to feel the Savior's love through me. I’m not perfect, but I am really going to try to do this.

I love everyone and have a great week!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack