blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Attitude

17 November 2014

Attitude

Hello!

First off a big lesson I’ve learned here, and something that I feel like I knew before, is that attitude is everything. Yesterday a brother in our stake spoke at an activity, and he said that during his mission he began to have success when he decided to love what he was doing. It has been that way for me too. We don’t always have success, but if I know what I’m doing, and whom I am doing it for, everything is so much better.

We have been teaching a woman and her kids for about two weeks now and they are progressing. She is starting to feel comfortable with the church in general, and she came to a choir practice on Wednesday and to our “noche de empanadas” on Saturday. 

She has great faith and loves it when we talk about Christ and the peace He offers. It’s something she really needs in her life right now. She has a date to be baptized on November 29th. This is one of the first conversions in my time here that I really think can happen. My experience with her taught me that people are more likely to progress when they have friends and feel welcome on Sunday. 

We had two opportunities to give service this week. On Tuesday we helped two older sisters in our ward with their garden. The entire time they were explaining what each plant was and where it came from. I loved helping them because there is no way they could do that type of work by themselves. 

Friday we went to a place called “Hiper” which is like a Home Depot, to help a brother load more than 700 bricks into his truck. It took a long time! We had to leave early to arrive to our lunch appointment on time, but what I loved was how grateful he was for the help. He is someone I’m going to miss when it comes time to leave here. 

I continue to trust more in the Lord, and face things that make me scared. Sunday there was no teacher for our Gospel Principles class, and we were all waiting after the opening prayer for someone to stand up and start the lesson. I was so scared but I decided to stand up and teach. It wasn’t the best lesson, but I was grateful for the opportunity. I know that the Lord helped me get through it!

Finally, this week I felt like I went to a new level with my Spanish. I feel so comfortable speaking the language. I am very grateful for the gift I have from the Lord to speak Spanish. 

I love this time and I know I’m doing a good thing. I love and miss everyone.

Elder Kauffman aka Jack