blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Another Fast Week in Frutillar

10 November 2014

Another Fast Week in Frutillar

How is everyone doing?

This was another fast week in Frutillar! The weather is heating up here and I really like it. I was a little discouraged one day as there was a lot of rain and all our appointments cancelled, but we made the most of the opportunity. Rather than avoid the puddles Elder Supelano and I started walking in all of them. We were soaking wet when we got home that night, but we worked and still managed to visit one of our families.

Since I arrived here I have been visiting a less active member who is from Chile. He loves to hunt, and breeds rabbits. We are always going to his house to share scriptures and invite him to church, but we haven’t seen much progress. White visiting with him this week he showed us his driver’s license from Chile, and it showed that his birthday was this Saturday. 

Joking with him I said we needed to eat rabbit with him on his birthday to celebrate! He has no kids and his wife passed away about 10 years ago. I didn’t expect it, but he told us to come! While we ate with him he laughed and talked about all of the animals he has hunted. When we left he said he really would like to come back to church in order to worship in the temple again. 

From this experience I learned that to invite people to come unto Christ, you don’t have to teach them and extend invitations to read and attend church. Sometimes we can simply be like Christ and be a friend to people who need company. Even though we only ate and spent a few hours with this brother I felt good doing it.

We are also teaching a lady we met three months ago, but it was really hard to teach her because her husband was always yelling and asking us strange questions. We unexpectedly met with her this week and she said her husband left to live up north and now she can be taught the Gospel.

This Sunday my less active friend in the ward came to church again and it was awesome to see him there. We have plans to help him raise the walls on his house this week. We had two other opportunities to provide physical service. Lot’s of work with shovels and I’m glad I learned how to work from dad and Uncle Tim growing up.

I wrote down Psalms 62:2 and hung it above my desk and I love the message. “Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.” Because of Christ we never have to be troubled.

I hope that this is a great week for everyone. Take care!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack