blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: Zapala Update

06 July 2015

Zapala Update

It was a good week here and it went by pretty fast. I thought about everyone on the 4th of July and missed being at home. I don’t think being with my family is something I ever took for granted, but I am going to appreciate being closer when I return. After Jesus Christ, family is the most important thing, period. I see it in every ward here on the mission, the families that are more united are happier. 

On the fourth we ate lunch with a really cool couple in our ward, Guillermo and Laura, they are an excommunicated couple that recently decided to come back to church. They are really special and love to feed us. Guillermo knows some English because he served his mission in Chile, and had some gringo companions. When I walked in to their home he said, “Hey dude, congratulations!” He was referring to American Independence Day and that was my mini celebration of the holiday.

It was very cool to hear about that United States women’s victory in the World Cup. On Saturday we had the American cup final, Argentina vs. Chile! We were asked my local leaders to stay inside during the game because it can get really crazy in the streets during matches. So we left at 7:00 p.m. to go to an appointment because we were sure the game would be over. When we started to walk to our appointment we realized how quiet it was outside, and that everyone was still inside watching, so we ran back to the pension! Later we assumed Chile won because we heard no celebration noise that night. At church the next day we confirmed our suspicion. There is a sister missionary in our district from Chile and she could not stop smiling and it made me laugh. Soccer is a big deal here, even just playing in the street everyone wants to win!

I wish you all could be with me for a day here just to see what its like. There is no doubt in my mind that Christ knew I would come to Argentina. I feel something very special with these people, and I can connect with them through the language and my ´forma de ser´ or just by the way I naturally am. As of now, I believe I’ve done some good here, and I am constantly looking for those people that I am missing.

A lot of things make me sad when we work here. When we knock on a door and people just look through the window and shake their head “no” or even yell at us. They don’t know what they are missing out on. Also the shady neighborhoods are difficult to process. I’m used to it now, but I realize how much of a blessing it is to live in the United States.

I had a really positive experience in church yesterday with the sacrament. It means more for me now because I realize how much I need it. Every week I have a lot of worries and things that I need to improve in my life, and taking the sacrament makes me feel like I can do better. I believe that Christ wants us to feel good about ourselves, and I like that. 

Well I love everyone and hope you all have a great week!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack