blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: ¡Buenas de Argentina!

21 April 2015

¡Buenas de Argentina!

Dear family and friends, 

I do and don’t believe that it is already Saturday! This week on our way to the office my companion asked if it was Wednesday and I had to remind us both that it was already Friday. Time continues to fly by here.

Wednesday we went to the police station to renew documents for six elders. I always worry when missionaries have to travel to come to Neuquén because sometimes they miss the bus or forget their phones, but everything went well this time. We also finally left a Book of Mormon with Fabian who works there. He helps me a lot and I really like him, and I realized that if I really care about him I need to share the gospel with him.

Thursday we went to immigrations with two sisters from Brazil that are new in the mission. Everything went very smoothly, but by far my favorite day this week was Tuesday. We had zone conference with our zone and the Cipolletti Zone. Elder Candia, my trainer, is in that zone, and it was great to see him. He is always happy and it’s contagious. Seeing him made me miss our time to together.

At zone conference President Lovell talked about developing the habits that we will need after the mission, and it hit me that more than anything that’s what this experience is for–the future. Serving a mission is a unique training ground. I believe that every area I'm assigned, and every calling given to me, is preparing me in a distinct way for the rest of my life.

I am having a blast. I’m not where I thought I’d be (inside the mission office), or doing what I thought I would be doing (dealing with immigrations and spreadsheets), but Heavenly Father knows where I need to be and I thank him for the hard times and the good times in the office. 

Something I am started doing differently is getting up early to go to immigrations at 6:00 a.m. That way we can stand in line early and not have to wait all day like we were doing in the past. It does make me tired during the day, but I’d rather be sleepy than standing in a line!

This week I thought again of the Atonement and how difficult it must have been for the Savior. I imagine a lot of suffering, a lot of crying, and not just asking for the cup to be removed, but begging it to be removed. I am happy that he finished it for us!

Finally, I also feel like I had a glimpse of the plan of salvation this week. A distinct feeling that we knew this life would not be a perfect journey, but that we trusted the Savior and that he would help us not just get along, but thrive. 

I love everyone and wish you all the best!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack