blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: ¡Feliz Navidad!

23 December 2014

¡Feliz Navidad!

Merry Christmas! I remembered Christ this week, Isaiah 49 to be specific. We have been engraven upon the hands of the Savior, and he will never forget us. I love him, and if anything I hope my mission makes me more like him.

Working in the office offers new ways to assist others. This week I was able to help a young man from another city who came to the mission to finish out the transfer of an elder who went home a month early for an operation. We picked him up at the terminal and I felt like I was able to make him feel welcome. The next day I brought him a pair of shoes from the mission home because the ones he had traveled with were too small.

The other night we did an activity passing out "He is the Gift" cards downtown. It was great to get out there and talk to people. I felt like I was on fire! We also had a lesson this week that affected my attitude a lot. It wasn't part of our plans for the day, but we called an old investigator who was planning on being baptized some time ago. He was really animated during the lesson, and when we asked him why he wouldn't want to be baptized, he said it's because he still needs a desire to really follow Christ. 

Then he stood up and began to walk around with his shoulders shrugged and a long face. He said that right now, he feels like his is following Christ with shrugged shoulders and a frown. Then he began to walk around the room with a straight back and a face that looked determined. He then said that he wants to be baptized after he can follow Christ with that type of demeanor. I thought to myself that for some time I had been following Christ with shrugged shoulders and a heavy heart. They say you know it's a good lesson when the missionary learns something, and I learned a lot that night! I left with a desire to follow Jesus with more enthusiasm.

Thank you to everyone for the nice Christmas wishes. I would be lying if I said I didn't want to spend it at home with my family, but I am happy here. My friend Mark McKellar wrote me the other day telling me that to get through his rough beginning in the mission, he attached himself to his "mission family." That's what I have been doing here lately. I realize that I have brothers all around me. Elder Moser is another new office elder and we have been talking a lot. It turns out he has a fourteen year old brother that is autistic, and he has already become one of my best friends here.

I love everyone and wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Elder Kauffman aka Jack