blank'/> Jack Kauffman's Mission Blog: First Assignment - Bariloche

04 August 2014

First Assignment - Bariloche

Hola amada famila!

It feels so great to write to you all. I've been missing you, especially these last few days in my first area. I love everyone and hope you are all doing well. 

We arrived in Neuquén late Tuesday, and spent a few days in the mission home, before going to our areas. We received our trainers in the Neuquén chapel right before leaving. My president and his wife and extremely nice, all of the members told us that before we met them, they were right! My trainer is Elder Candia from Concepcion Chile. He speaks really fast. It´s difficult at times, but overall I love it because it teaches me a lot!

We live in a town called San Carlos de Bariloche, about 6 hours south of Neuquén in the province of Rio Negro. The town sits at the base of the Andes Mountains. It's beautiful here and the Andes are huge and full of snow right now, but with the beauty comes very cold weather. During my first two days there was non stop rain. Mom and Dad the jacket and boots we bought have worked wonders for me!

I'm not all too sure how to describe what it looks like here. The houses are very small, and all very close together. The roads are all dirt which is kind of cool to see, and there are stray dogs everywhere! (To make them go away you just bend down because they think you are going to pick up a rock to throw at them.) 

I love teaching the people here. In Buenos Aires, before coming to Neuquén, I was tired and hungry, but as soon as I talked with an Argentinian my mood changed. Everyone here just lifts my spirits, I think it's because I am here for them! That happens every day. Yesterday we were walking, and were invited into a man's house we met the day before. I bore my testimony to him that God is our loving father, and he wants us to achieve our deepest desires granted that they our pure. The look he had after I spoke to him made me forget about all the worries I have, because in that moment, I knew I was doing what I have been called to do. 

I am learning to have more faith in Jesus Christ here because without it, and without him, I can't do this. Sunday was a little scary for me, it was a testimony meeting and I really wanted to get up there but didn't know if I could. I felt the Spirit really strong tell me that if I want to have more faith in Jesus Christ I need to take actions to show what faith I do have. So I got up there and just said that "I am here because I want to be here, and I want to share the blessings that I have received in my life." If I want to finish a large task like this mission, it starts by accomplishing little things like bearing my testimony when I´m nervous. 

I'm getting used to being a missionary more and more every day. The MTC is not of much help when you compare it to actually being in the mission field!

I love everyone very much. Congratulations to Chris and Kaylee on their wedding. Good luck to Megan this year in school. Hey Cam and Connor and hola Amanda! 

Mom and Dad I love you like crazy! Please pray for me that I can just work and think of nothing else. 

Elder Kauffman aka Jack